The two awards are based on the following qualifications:
* High School Seniors from Cheyenne High School, Oklahoma
* ACT Score (College Entrance Exam)
* GPA (Grade Point Average) for High school years
* Resume submitted by the student
* Essay on their view in regard to “US/China relationship”
A committee of teachers will review the entries and submit the semi-finalists for the Hefners to assess and announce the two winners.
Each award consists of a 10-day trip to China (i.e., a package tour with return air tickets and accommodation paid for by the Hefner China Fund) and the Hefners will announce the destinations of the award at a later date.
On their return, the two winners are required to write about their trip and a follow up essay on their view in regard to “US/China relationship”, whether their views remained or changed. The Hefners also encourage the winners to give talks to their community and share their experiences with family, friends and fellow students..